The Meetup app was developed in 2002 and it was one of the very first social media networks available. The app is owned by Alley Corporations.
Meetup is used to connect people who share the same interests and/or careers. As a Human Service Specialist, I personally love this app because it is a wonderful tool to connect and find resources to better serve the needs of people in our community. The app is free and very easy to navigate as you can see in the slideshow above. You pretty much just pick what you are looking for – what you are interested in – and start connecting immediately with various groups of interest. One of the features I especially like is that Meetup presents immediately what social events are happening in your area that are related to your interests.All in all the app is an amazing tool to connect people. But just as with any other social media network, always be aware of the risks that come with online connections. Always vet the people or groups you want to connect with.

Angelika I have learned today that Meet Up is probably one of the parent social networking sites that gave way to Indeed and LinkedIn. You reminded us of the dangers of meeting people through the web which is important since you never can truly no who is on the other side. Do you think that Meet Up will remain relevant as a social networking site as the others i mentioned before is all you hear about nowadays.
ReplyDeleteI liked learning about the MeetUp app throughout the course of your presentation. I have never heard of this website before, but it was very interesting how you can meet people of similar interests online. The MeetUp app seems like it would be a useful tool in the business world for connecting with people of similar professions, as suggested in The Connected Educator text.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised by Meetup being one of the first social media platforms available. This app seems like a great tool and resource to connect with others and help in the community. I like how you personally connected your opinion with this app in your profession.
ReplyDeleteI never heard of Meet Up before and was shocked to hear that it was one of the first social media apps but after watching your presentation I found it really cool how you can meet people with similar interests as you and then go to an event to talk to them.
ReplyDeleteI knew that Meetup was a space wherein hobbyists could meet together and connect, but I didn't know that it also had career connotations as well! it's such an interesting application where, like applications such as Airbnb and Facebook Marketplace, it has potential dangers of being unsafe, but also has potential of making life long connections. My friend uses this application for her Hiking hobby, and has meet some very wonderful people through Meet Up
ReplyDeleteI was familiar with Meetup, but I also had yet to learn that it is one of the first social media apps.
ReplyDeletethe meet up app is very cool, i like how you can share fellow interst and hobbies with other people and connect and share ideas all over the world. its like facebook but focuses on hobbies.i wasnt aware it had career interests too so you can connect with people who also may share the same career. i like to pain and i am also a gamer/streamer i wonder is i would be able to find and connect with people on here who also do the same.
ReplyDeleteHello Angelika, this app sounds like a great tool; how awesome it is to connect with people of the same interest. I will use the Meetup app to see social worker events in my area. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteHello! I actually have used this app before to connect with people and meet friends. I will say it is way better than Facebook, and Twitter. It seems safer and allows you to connect with people who have the same interest.
ReplyDeleteWoah, I cant believe I was unaware of Meetup despite it being one of the first social media apps! This app seems very interesting to me and very game changing. I will look into this app further since your smackdown inspired me to make a meetup account.
ReplyDeleteHi Angelika! I love this app. It was more popular during covid, for sure, and groups have sort of dissipated since. I've noticed through using the app that most events are in the bigger cities or college towns. New Jersey, for example, has many events near North Brunswick, Princeton, and close to Manhattan or Philly. I'm still a part of two or three groups from Meetup, and it's great when I've found myself in a new area.
ReplyDeleteAngelika, thank you for sharing this app with us. It seems like a great too to find local events going on. I could totally see myself using it to find car meets, and other social gatherings that might be happening in my area. Great job!
ReplyDeleteAngelika i knew that this app was for people that had similar interest but i know it goes beyond that the fact that it has also a place were you can look for careers or even exploring groups that are around you makes this website really interesting. i will be looking into this website.
ReplyDeleteHi, I had never heard of meetup or used it before so it was really cool to learn about it and how it was one of the first social media apps. Its always good to stay connected and find like minded people
ReplyDeleteHi Angelika! I always had bad misconceptions of this app because of safety issues, but never really looked into the good, and the actual purpose carried with it.
ReplyDeletehi angelika i have never heard of this app but It seems like It is very reliable and It is always good to stay connected and find like minded people
ReplyDelete